Welcome to the exclusive edition of How To Start a WordPress Blog. BlogByGeeks is pleased to present this 7-step Exclusive DIY WordPress Guide to Create a Blog and advance it with killing features.
Starting a blog is pretty easy and simple. If you follow this Precise WordPress Guide, yo can have your blog up and running in just 10 minutes. Keep this thing in mind that following advice is for people who are serious about blogging, as some of these steps require spending few bucks.
This 7-Step WordPress Guide is What You Need To Create a Blog:
#1. Choose a Good Name
It is all in the name. Truly, it is. The very first thing you need to do is to choose a good name for your blog. Try to make it as short as possible and easy to remember. Think of words you think will best describe your blog. think what do you want to write about. Play around with different words and then choose a best possible name for your blog. Different folks have different storks, so you may ask as many as people you know to suggest you the best name for your blog. Choose a damn good, simple and easy to remember and eye catchy name that relates to your blog.
Note : Don’t use hyphen and number in your blog name.
Example : www.blogby-geeks007.com and www.blogbygeeks.com
www.blogbygeeks.com is easy to spell and remember but www.blogby-geeks007.com is not easy to spell and remember. Always try to make it as simple as possible.
Also think from long term perspective while choosing your blog name that will long last and not seasonal. Because once you have taken a domain name, it won’t be easy to change it later.
#2. Buy your domain name and get hosted
we have already discussed about what is a domain name and what things you need to keep in mind while choosing your domain name. once you decide your domain name, you need hosting to get your blog online. In simple words, Hosting is the web space where your blog files will be stored. All the files, data and everything of your blog will be stored on hosting. hosting is required to get your website live on the internet. There are many Web Hosting solutions in the market but I prefer Bluehost as it is being recommended by WordPress itselfBluehost offers one domain for free and hosting costs $5.95/mo for plus plan. I suggest you to go for plus plan as it offers you to host unlimited websites and also allows you to use unlimited website space. They provide quality hosting and customer support is excellent.
- Click on Get Started Now
- Choose a Plan (Plus plan is recommended). I would recommend you to opt for 12 month plan as anything can happen within a year.
- Check if your blog(domain) name is available. If you already have a blog name, you can easily switch it over. If your blog name is already taken up, don’t worry, re-brainstorm a different name. Play around with different words and come up with a damn good unique blog name.
- Add extra features (most of them are not required but I personally recommend you to use domain privacy protection to keep the privacy of your blog. Don’t leave it unchecked for the sake of few bucks.)
#3. Installing WordPress
Installing WordPress on BlueHost is a child’s play. BlueHost is one of the Top Recommendation by WordPress which comes with Fantastico. Fantastico is an awesome script which makes WordPress installation super easy with just one-click.
Here ya’ll learn how to install WordPress blog on Bluehost
Go to Bluehost Contol Panel – Website Builder – WordPress
Click through the simple installation process. When it asks where you’d like to install it, enter your domain (ex: http://yourdomain.com). did you notice that I didn’t put www here? This is because the shorter the domain name, the better it is. Enter your desired user name and password and make a note of your login credentials as you would need these to login to your WordPress dashboard.
Once WordPress is successfully installed, you’d be able to login to your dashboard (or usually www.yourdomain.com/wp-admin)
#4. Get a Professional theme
Finally the fun part has come. Make your blog look stunning. Think of a blank canvas. Does it look good? At least for me, it doesn’t. By default WordPress comes with few pre -installed themes which are good but if you a serious blogger and eventually make money with your blog then you would want to look for a professional theme. It doesn’t cost much. Also there are many free WordPress themes available but I prefer to have a premium one. Pick any of theme which fits your blogging needs.
Always choose a responsive theme as it can adapt any screen size. Think if your blog layout doesn’t look good in mobile device. A majority of population access internet on mobile device hence it is crucial to have a responsive theme. If your blog doesn’t have a responsive design, this could lead to decrease your blog’s traffic. Google can probably penalize your blog in search ranking if your blog is not using a responsive design.
Now your blog looks stunning but what about functionality? Plugins add great functionality to your blog. In the next step, you will learn about the best WordPress plugins you should install on your newly installed WordPress blog.
#5. Install the best plugins
Before I move ahead, read : How to install WordPress plugins
What the heck are plugins? Plugins are third party tiny apps which make your blog powerful by adding extra functionality. Most of the plugins are free but some you have to pay for. In the left sidebar of your WordPress dashboard, click on plugins button, add new plugin, search for a plugin you want to install. Now click on install and then activate it. Just installing doesn’t make a plugin work. You have ti activate it to implement its functionality.
Here’s my recommended list of plugins to install on your blog
- Akismet (This plugin protects your blog from spammers to comment in your blog posts. It keeps spam under control otherwise you will get lot of spam. Its not perfect to prevent spam but probably the best out there.)
- Smush.it (Best image compression plugin for faster loading)
- WordPress Seo by Yoast (one of the essential plugin which helps us to optimize the content of your blog posts, integrates Google analytics and adding sitemap. SEO by yoast does optimize your blog to rank well in Google search.)
- Contact Form7 (A great plugin which helps users to contact you)
- WP Touch mobile plugin (Makes your blog mobile optimized)
- Shareaholic (A well known floating social media widget plugin which allows your visitors to share your blog posts.) Read : Best Social Media Plugins For WordPress. Digg Digg is one of the Best Social Media WordPress Plugin.
- FD Feedburner (Manages your feeds and stream of your content. It delivers your fresh content to subscribers.)
- Yuzo (This plugin takes care of the posts that are related or similar to your main post. It shows up as a decent thumbnail at the end of your blog post, showing more content to your readers they might like.) Also Read : Best Related Posts Plugins for WordPress Blog.
- WordPress W3 Total Cache Plugin to enhance user experience (This plugin makes your blog load faster by caching web pages to provide good user experience.)
Never use too many plugins as this will put stress on your web server and you might get a notification from your hosting service provider to fix this issue. since many of plugins are free, people just install too many plugins without thinking of the impact. They are free but use them wisely.
There are many more free and premium WordPress plugins but plugins which I have listed here will get you started.
#6. Take care of social media
I hope you love social media. yes you do. Create a social profile if you haven’t already. Try to keep your profile name same across except Google+ and Facebook. Facebook lets you to choose a custom URL once you get 25 likes.
- Social Media
There are many social media account you can create but these three are Giant.
#7. Create a good about us page
Create a static page which talks about your blog and you. About us page should contain information about your blog, what your blog is all about, author of the blog. Don’t write too much here. Also think from a long perspective. Since you will not be updating this page frequently hence create it in a way so that it will last at least for next 2 years.
Now your blog is well customized and equipped with essential things like themes are plugins. The only thing missing is content. Now its time to start writing and showcase yourself. Write at least 5 unique, well written , well formatted posts of atleast 500 words each. Publish them and then write and publish one post daily. This way your posts will be indexed in a better way. Make sure to have your every post checked before publishing to avoid any spelling and grammatical error.
you were a complete beginner before reading this post on WordPress Guide : A step by step guide on how to start a WordPress blog. Where do you find yourself now?
I tried to keep things simple as much as I could. How this post helped you in setting up your blog? Drop a comment to share your experience.